The awards were organized to coincide with International Women’s Day to recognize and honour women who performed in exceptional ways in their respective fields.
The Vanithabhimana program which took place for almost a year as a series of events, recognized women entrepreneurs from across the country, especially from rural communities.
Pushpa Ramyani De Soysa, Umaria Sinhawansa, Otara Gunawardena, Chamari Atapattu, Pooja Umashankar, Shalani Thakara, Shashika Nisansala, and Susanthika Jayasinghe made the Top 08 for Most Popular Sri Lankan Woman, following which Pushpa Ramyani De Soysa was crowned the winner.
At the Final Award ceremony on Monday (08) awards were presented under 08 separate categories.
The recipients were selected from amongst thousands who applied for Vanithabhimana by a committee of experts chaired by the Director-General of the Department of Manpower and Employment, Anusha Gokula Fernando.
01. Entrepreneur (Micro) – Damayanthi Ratnayake
02. Entrepreneur (Small) – Shiromi Pathirana
03. Entrepreneur (Upcoming) – Chamari Lakmali Kumari
04. Young Leader – Bhagya Sanjeewani
05. Environment Manager – V. J. Nilupuli
06. Social Services – G. M. S. Damayanthi Pushpakumari
07. Sports – Damayanthi Darsha
08. Education – R. A. D. Priyanka Weerasekera
Further, 10 Sri Lankan women were given a Lifetime Achievement Award for their extraordinary services to the nation.
01. Veteran Actress Iranganie Serasinghe
02. Veteran Film Director Kalakeerthi Sumitra Peries
03. Veteran Choreographer Padma Shri (Dr) Vajira Chitrasena
04. Veteran Artiste Kalashuri Latha Walpola
05. Veteran Artiste Visharada (Dr) Nanda Malini
06. Acclaimed Writer Sumithra Rahubadda
07. WHO Epidemiologist Dr. Paba Palihawadana
08. Marine Biologist Dr. Asha de Vos
09. Olympic Athlete Susanthika Jayasinghe
10. First Sri Lankan to summit Mount Everest Jayanthi Kuru-Utumpala